Welcome to . . .
T.C. Riders Snowmobile Club - Club Pictures
Story of the
--- Flashback to 2009 ---
Graves Road Bridge Project
Corridor 4K to Redfield
We need to recognize all those, in addition to T.C. Riders, who made this project possible:
John Singer of Empire Metal Fabricators for assistance with beams and galvanizing.
Barry Kirch of KJR Contracting for assistance with abutment blocks and old bridge removal.
Jim Stace of Stace Trucking for expert equipment operation (on short notice).
NYS DEC, Region 6, for cooperation with permits for installation of the new bridge.
Long Island Sno-Seekers (Go to L.I. Sno-Seekers website) for generous financial support.
Numerous Volunteers who give countless hours to all the many trail projects.
John Singer picked up the beams at the galvanizers Friday Sept, 18. We dumped them off the trailer on the north side of the old bridge.
Early Saturday morning we removed the old bridge and dragged it up to an old log landing. Thanks to Barry Kirch for this impressive equipment that made the job easy.
Many hands made removing the center pier go quickly. We rebuilt the old abutments as required, using the remainder of the rocks to ballast the stream bank. (Note that not everybody was working hard.)
Digging the trenches for the new concrete abutment blocks went quickly with the backhoe. Original plans were to use a trackhoe for the site work. That plan started to unravel on Monday with work scheduled for Saturday. With some scrambling and a critical phone call or two, Jim Stace saved the day with his big New Holland that actually was much better suited to the task. Jim's artful work with equipment is well-known.
The abutment blocks are set in stone. This stone is going into the south abutment trench.
Setting the first of the two abutment blocks, north side. First, Barry Kirch and crew leveled the stone in the trench using a laser level.
Once the abutments were set, John Singer and crew assembled the bridge beams.
Bridge frame assembled and ready to be brought across to the south abutment.
The versatility of the New Holland equipment is seen here as it draws the bridge frame across the stream. It carried blocks, dug trenches, carried buckets of stone, smoothed out the landscape, and put the bridge into position.
Final positioning of the bridge frame on the abutment blocks, south side.
Once the bridge frame was set, lag bolts were were installed in the north abutment. The south end of the bridge will "float" to allow for expansion and contraction.
Bridge in position - view from downstream.
Looking north. A good day's work!
We removed all debris and old bridge parts. To fit the old bridge on Barry's truck, we cut it in half. We'll save it. Hey! Ya never know!
Here are the pictures of the final bridge construction, Saturday, October 3rd. Fortunately we got a break in the rain and it even warmed up.
First task was to complete the decking.
Next was cutting out the posts. Bill Geist's big chop saw did the job.
Two carriage bolts hold the lower 4x4 cleats and two more hold the 4x4 posts. Solid.
Lots more boring and lots more bolts and the rails were on.
Three consectutive Saturdays of work, and . . . Voila! Instant bridge! Now Mom, Dad, and the Kids can ride from Redfield to Florence with the convenience of a wide, groomed trail over the bridge rather than deep moguls as high as the bridge rails.
Home | Membership | Officers | Trails Info | Club Events | Club Pictures | Club Accolades |Area Services | Links
Webmaster: Aaron Mahoney